Importance of History in Our Life
History is such an important subject and plays a very vital role when it comes to shaping of our society. History is the study of past events. We refer to the past when comparing it with the present times and deduce the changes that have taken place. These actions of the past also shape our future actions. Therefore, history plays a vital role in preparing us for the future.
Here is a quick look at 10 reasons why history is important to us.
History is such an important part of our everyday lives. Not only because there are certain past events and occurrence’s that shaped our present world, but also due to the fact that humanity tends to go through the same challenges over and over again. The only difference is that people learn from what has already happened and develop better problem-solving mechanisms. Read on and find out why history is an important part of our life.
- History promotes patriotism and enhances responsible citizenship. By studying history, one finds out how his/her nation emerged, the problems encountered and also the nation’s values. He /she also discovers how the country interacted with other societies. This information enables him to appreciate his nation and becomes a responsible citizen.
- Learn important lessons: The study of history helps us understand the present and predict the future.’History repeats itself’ is a statement we hear on a regular basis. This means that some trends and patterns in our lives tend to repeat themselves. Statistics and experiences from the past can be the roadmap for national planning and sharing of resources. This is through studying the various dynamics that shaped certain phenomena. Business professionals can study past recessions in order to avoid one. Even at a person level, people can avoid unnecessary pain and suffering just by learning from history.
- History helps us understand what informed the actions of those before us. Sometimes we try to understand why certain things happened in the past, or why particular individuals who greatly affected the course of history acted in the manner that they did. Studying history will help as understand the reasoning that informed such actions. In the same breath, we can try to use the lessons learnt to do better.
- History equips us with vital skills: Skills that can be acquired from the study of history include data analysis, research expertise and evaluation skills. These skills can be applied in other fields other than history itself.
- History is fun: Many people like exploring and discovering new things. Studying history gives you an opportunity to explore activities that occurred in the past. And by exploring, you find out what used to happen yet still not known to other people. People have different opinions about facts. Find your opinion.
- History is a good subject for career and professional development. The study of history helps create good political leaders, professionals (teachers, lawyers) and business people. One can study history in order to teach at any stage of school. The best lawyers base their legal arguments on past cases. Journalists study history in order to report news in a more informed way.
- It creates a sense of moral understanding: When you read the stories of past individuals and situations, you put yourself in a position to question your own moral sense, improve it so that it can face the real world around you.
- To find inspiration: There are people who overcame adversity and surmounted several obstacles in the past with very minimum resources. We can draw inspiration from such people and imitate their strength in solving the challenges that face us today. It’s always nice to know that the problems that we face are not unique, or that some people faced even greater problems but still managed to succeed.
- Cultural consciousness and cross-cultural appreciation can be realized through the study of historical events. Sometimes people behave in certain ways and we quickly rush to judge them without understanding why they are that way. When we study history, we come across many societies that have different cultures and norms and you may want to learn those cultures. We develop a deeper understanding of our society and live in harmony with those that seem different from us. We make sense of it all and forge ahead, fully aware of how far we’ve come.
- It provides information about genealogy: It is a common practice to find people studying their family history. This important because you get to know your family tree which in turn helps you avoid taboos such as marrying from your clan. People also like to identify with their forefathers and mothers especially if they were reputable concerning wealth, royalty and so on.
- History makes us better citizens: As we learn about governance in history, we are compelled to be responsible citizens by participating in democratic activities such as voting, community work, as well as vying for leadership positions.
- Better society: It’s important to know where we came from, and the journey that our ancestors traveled in search of a new home. Cultivating a sense of identity makes us appreciate who we are, and use our diversity and uniqueness to build a better society.
- To preserve important memories and events: The future generations will need to know about those who came before them and influenced the world in one way or another. We study history so that we can pass on stories to the next generation.
- To make the better world: All these reasons only lead us to one thing; creating a better world by doing better than those who came before us. That should be the ultimate aspiration of every individual, to make the world a better place.
- Many historical personalities are role models of many. For example, Mahatma Gandhi was instrumental in promoting the use of non-violence as a tool of airing discontent voices in the society. Similarly, a student who want to be good in poetry may read the work of Rabindranath Tagore, Robert Frost and many more.
The value of history cannot be underestimated. The study of history is not irrelevant as some people project it to be. We don’t have to live in the past, but we can definitely do better by learning from it and using the lessons learnt to lead more meaningful lives.
History plays a critical role in promoting one’s intellectual growth and development. Let’s learn to embrace our history, learn from the mistakes our ancestors made, appreciate their achievements and have fun while discovering more.