The following steps should be taken to prevent diseases that are caused by Water Pollution:
- Water Borne diseases are risky. Safe drinking water should be taken; corporation or municipal tap water or water from deep tube-well is usually safe.
- In hotels, restaurants, marriage feasts, picnic, parties etc. water should not be taken, as there is risk of contamination.
- After defecation, both the hands are to be washed with soap and water.
- Processed or cut fruits sold openly, sherbet (sweet-ended, flavored and coloured cold water), cold water, ice, ice-cream etc. from the roadside vendors should not be taken to avoid the risk of contamination.
- Before eating, hand should be washed with soap and water.
- Ordinary filters are not very effective to prevent water pollution. When water is passed through ultraviolet rays, it become safe.
- Boiled water is safe and helps to prevent water borne diseases.
- Raw unfiltered Ganges water, water with which a deity has been washed, special offerings prepared with flour, sweets etc. are usually contaminated.