Project Name : Mathematicial Modelling in the working of Brain Cells
Theme Name : Mathematics Modelling
1. To study the mathematics of brain cell.
2. To find out the level of secretion of dopamine and acetylcholine in
the brain and correlate it with fractals.
3. To study the fractal dimension by box counting method of nucleus/ neuron of brain cell in normal person, Parkinson’s sufferer and Alzheimer’s sufferer.
4. To find out a proper way of diagnosing Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
Scientific Principle Involved:
1. The secretion of dopamine level and acetylcholine level is reduced after being inflicted with Parkinson’s disease.
2. Higher the stage of disease more the fractal dimension. The fractal dimension was found by the method of box counting using MS Excel, Geogebra and Graphmatica.
3. As the complexity of the figure increases i.e. the disease becomes more severe, then the FD also increases.
Materials Used: Geogebra, MS Excel, MS Word etc.
Working Investigations/Findings: The project is based on discussion and research about the working of the brain cells in normal conditions and in neurological diseases, precisely, Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s disease (PD) is the second largest neuro -degenerative disorder estimated to afflict approximately 3% of the population over the age of 65. It is a progressive disorder of the central nervous system. PD is a chronic condition that occurs when brain cells (neurons) deteriorate. This causes an inadequate supply of the chemical, dopamine, which controls the muscle activity
Utility and further scope of the project: In future, if we are able to invent a drug which decreases the fractal dimension of the brain cell, then we may be able to find a cure for the disease. We would like to carry on the same research with different idiopathic diseases and find a diagnosis for the same .
Name of the School: Delhi Public School, Karnal, Haryana.